Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A different kind of review this time around (Harry Potter)

I just saw Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix last Saturday. Imagine the situation first:

I just came from 5 rounds of Extended Constructed in Magic the Gathering. I was bringing an untested deck which was frankly taxing on my brain and nerve wracking as hell as I wasn´t really that ready to go into battle with such a deck. I did finish well but I got the shock of my life. I finished with 3 wins, 1 loss, and 1 tie. The only loss was surrendered in favor of my teammate who had a better chance of finishing number one. Talk about taking one for the team.

So we (or more precisely, my sister) decided that we would watch Harry Potter instead of Transformers. Frankly, I would consider Transformers as a much more interesting movie because of the special effects. And who wouldn´t appreciate those cool funky robots! I´ve been speed reading Harry Potter in the last year or so. Once you get to read the book, you would lose all appreciation for the movie. It just went south starting with Prisoner of Azkaban and it worsened with Goblet of Fire. Order of the Phoenix the Movie would just become one more movie that would be unappreciated by yours truly.

We hurried up our dinner as we had to catch the last full show. Thankfully the movie house accepted credit cards!

So, on to the movie proper. Well, I´m quite amused that they managed to cram up so much information into just a few minutes. By the way, Order of the Phoenix seems to be the thickest of the books so far and it elaborately describes the actions and situations that lead to each decree that the antagonist Prof. Umbridge issues. In the movie, it was just a simple Daily Prophet headline. Come to think of it, this movie seems to be using a lot of Daily Prophet exposure.

I honestly can´t say whether the movie would be understandable or not. Since I already read the book, the characters were already familiar to me (and I knew even further than that). I already knew a certain event would happen and it was just a matter of how the director would go about in presenting it.

I love the fight scene where Black appeared out of nowhere to save Harry. Now, that one is impossible to imagine while reading. The sudden arrival of the ¨cavalry¨ through the swishing of mist (or cloud). It gave me a chance to say ¨Wow!¨ for the first time in the movie.

So there you go. Maybe because of the fight scenes I´d give a rating of 8 out of 10. But the movie overall, I´d give it a 5 out of 10. It wasn´t there for me...

No comments: